Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Cyclone Pam 3/18 Project 3

Project 3 today turned out to be the most sobering. I wanted to talk face to face with some of the Etas Christians that I had heard from only indirectly since the storm. The bush-track roads are still a mess with fallen trees and washed out from the flooding, so I walked back into the community. (Side note: not only is it true that "white men can't jump" but also that "white men can't walk on muddy terrain" ... they make it look so easy!). As I was nearing their houses, I glanced over and noticed several women dotting a small valley. I looked closer and noticed that they had each found a small puddle of rain water and were washing their family's clothes. When the closest woman looked up at me, I was surprised that it was Alice, one of the ones I was looking for. She greeted me excitedly, dropped the clothes she was washing (back on the wet soil), and took me up to the house. I learned that they had tried to make to the Vila church building last Friday, but had waited too long and ended up in a cement classroom in the village. By now, some of them had been able to get their house (read: shack) sleep-worthy, while others were still working during the day and sleeping at the cement classroom at night. They said their main need was water (which is always a problem in Etas), so much so that they had been sending their young children around the village asking friends for water. My heart sunk (again) ... I was able to get some empty plastic containers in town, and delivered them full of water later in the evening. They've collected old refrigerators from the nearby dump over the years, which they turn over backwards and use as holding tanks. I will plan to deliver 80-100 liters per day for at least the next week or so.
On my way to the second cloister of houses (which had a recently-cleared road that allowed me to drive 80% of the way), I passed a man and his son who were just returning from the dump pushing some building materials. they'd discovered there. I asked him where they were going, and offered them a ride. As I got out to help him load his masonite pieces and wheelbarrow, I was stunned that they were moist to the touch with "dump goo" (for lack of a better term), therefore smelling horrendous and attracting dozens of flies. As we bumped along the road I just sat there trying to put myself in the position where putrid masonite was my best option for filling the holes in my roof/wall.
I don't even know what the point of these stories is, other than to remind us all to be grateful for what we have, and seek to use it to bless others in Jesus name. Lord, give us wisdom, and help us see as you see! ~E





No comments:

Post a Comment