Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Cyclone Pam 3/18 Project 2

Project 2 today was to get some requested supplies (tarps, soap, rice, nails, tinned meat, etc) out to some in Epau Village. The project turned out to be much easier than anticipated, as Teouma Bridge had been patched up overnight and was now open to north/south traffic. I had assumed I would have to wait on the south side of the bridge until someone from the north side arrived.
A few kilometers before reaching the village, a large group of ladies flagged me down, and asked if I could transport their water containers in the truck. Epau actually has a decent water system in place (one outdoor tap per residence by an aid organization many years ago), the large tanks that accumulate spring water and supply the village had been compromised during the cyclone. Debris (leaves, branches, etc) had blown in and had begun decomposing, thus rendering the water unusable. They carried water in everything but their shoes (and they probably would have even done that if they had closed-toed shoes!). 
I met briefly with some of the men while I was there, asking them to begin "triaging" their situation and needs. I will plan to be back out in a couple of days to begin working with them on things like shelter, toilet, immediate food (rice, canned meat), and longterm food (seeds for planting). The villagers are working hard to get their water system back online, and it should be ready in the next few days.
I stopped back by Eton Village as well, and visited with several of the Christians there who were home. With the ring road opened back up, several had gone to town. It seems that everyone is still in a bit of shock, and not exactly sure what to do next (myself included!!!). ~E



No comments:

Post a Comment