Monday, June 9, 2014

Others teaching others: Jack

Timothy, as what we might term a missionary to Ephesus, was discouraged. He had been urged to stay there by Paul (1Tim 1:3), and had already received one instructive and encouraging letter (1 Timothy) from his father in the faith. Nonetheless, it is apparent that Timothy was having a hard time, and thus Paul sent him a second letter (2 Timothy) in an attempt strengthen his resolve.

I think I understand how Timothy felt. I am embarrassed at how often (and easily) I become discouraged in our work in Vanuatu. I am encouraged, though, as I read about the frustrations that Jesus, Paul, Timothy and others experienced in their own labors.

One of the principle goals Paul gave to Timothy in his letter of encouragement, was that he should “entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also” (2Tim 2:2). That’s a good recipe for success, and thus for encouragement even in the midst of discouraging times.



I have been greatly encouraged recently, as I see fruit being born along those lines. Jack and Anna are in town for an extended visit due to some medical needs of their young son, Ralph. They are Christians from Tanna Island (in southern Vanuatu), and have become very involved in the church here in Vila since arriving late last year. Jack’s great desire to study the Bible is evident in the fact that comes to our house 4-5 times per week to study, often times walking over an hour one-way. He is a good Bible student, and it has been my pleasure to see his interests grow as we have proceeded through some 25 studies together. We are currently going through an overview of the OT, book by book, building a foundation upon which I expect he will build for years to come. I have also seen evidences of a changed life in response to the teachings of Jesus we've studies together.


What is perhaps most encouraging though, is that every night Jack goes home and shares what he’s learning from God’s word with Anna. And I know it’s not just a cursory presentation of facts, but rather a considerate discussion, because he regularly comes the next day with questions from Anna regarding the topics. What’s more, Jack and Anna plan to eventually return to Tanna and teach God’s word to their family and friends there. I get chills thinking about the potential that is in these two young Christians, and look forward to seeing all that God will do with and through them in the coming years. Join me praying that they will bear much fruit for the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment